Tuesday, December 2, 2014

on Old Spice.

        A while back I read an article that discussed some of the ways scientists explain different aspects of the human brain. Deja vu, sleep cycles, addictions, thoughts, memories, etc. Events that we still struggle to understand. But one of the most interesting pieces of information I learned had to do with how our brain stores and recalls memories.
The article explained that when the brain processes information, different synapses are triggered and connections are temporarily made between them. When the same patterns are triggered, the more those connections are strengthened. As a result, the brain learns to recall certain memories and trigger certain synapses in response to things that have become familiar. It went on to say that of the many things that can bring back memories in this fashion, our sense of smell seems to be the strongest trigger. I was reminded of this the other day when I was in the shower.
See I have a body wash that I purchased this summer, just before heading off to camp. For three months I got accustomed to the smell of it as I worked at Maranatha. Every day bofore I went to the coffee shop, before I went to chapel with my cabin, before I stared at the water all day, or even before I did dishes, I would use it. At the end of that three months I took off to Spain leaving my big bottle of Old Spice behind. But then I came back.
Now I know it sounds weird, but bear with me here. That body wash holds a lot of memories. So much so that first time I showered upon returning to my home, I was dumbstruck by the flood of memories. I cracked open the bottle, lathered up, and just stood there like an idiot. Seriously. That smell (which granted, is pretty strong) brought such a flood of old memories rushing back that I didn't know what to do. All the sudden I was back at camp. I was tired, I was in a hurry, I needed caffeine, I wondered where my friends where, I wondered what my campers were doing, and I swear I even smelled the faint stench of mucky old lake water running down from my hair.
It was intense, and fascinating. The idea that our brains can produce such an incredible recollection from something as simple as the way my soap smells is amazing to me. But even more amazing was the sudden sense of urgency I felt. I had been transported to a time and a place where I knew I was doing what I had been called to do. I was accomplishing great things, I was impacting lives, and yes, even saved a kid from drowning one time. It was productive. It was meaningful. And I wanted to bolt straight out of the shower right back there to where I knew God's work was being done. I wanted to get out and go do something, go invest in lives, and go make a difference.

But don't worry, I know what you're thinking.

I put clothes on first.

No comments:

Post a Comment